Sunday, June 21, 2009

City on Water (with a dirty mouth)

Saturday afternoon I went for a long walk and relaxed in the park to recover from Midsommar festivities. During my sunshiny day, I enjoyed some Reese's peanut butter cups my parents recently sent from America. Mmmmm....


A couple people were also taking advantage of the gorgeous weather to row a boat out into the water between the city's islands. I caught this view from Långholmen (um... "Long Island"). The tall building with the green and gold top is the City Hall - Stadshuset.



Here's something I've never seen on the Long Island in America, but I'm sorry to report that I have no idea what the story behind it is. Perhaps the Beatles left it here because it wasn't in their color.


I've mentioned before that there are no truly unacceptable words in the Swedish language. Every word in the the language can be used on television. The same goes for English in Sweden. It is not only the ubiquitous second language, but it is also totally uncensored. This shop window demonstrates that. "Summer Sale - but we also have some expensive shit." This store recently had another sign up that said "Stor Jävla Rea!" ("Big Fucking Sale") Hilarious.

Another example of the acceptance of all vocabulary is that when the cooking show "Hell's Kitchen" airs here, nothing Gordon Ramsay says is bleeped out. I can't tell you how much more enjoyable that show is when you can actually hear what he's saying. That man really has a filthy mouth and it's what makes him so entertaining. I'm not sure why you would want to broadcast the show any other way. I think the FCC must have some very good reasons for treating Americans like children who can't be allowed to hear anything scandalous.


Here is a nice building I can't afford to live in, but I bet they have amazing views and lovely dinners. I'm happy for them and I hope whoever lives here will invite me over some time. Please click the contact link. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. MartinW2:55 PM

    The "sub" is a life raft from the Singaporean cargo ship Medea. They probably got new ones and sold off the old ones.
    See http://images.vesseltracker.com/images/vessels/hires/88881.jpg

    ReplyDelete

To comment without registering just choose Anonymous, then include your name in the message if you like.